BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] ping failures: dhcp clients and different subnets

2011-05-17 14:45:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] ping failures: dhcp clients and different subnets
From: Tobias Mayer <tobias.mayer AT hhi.fraunhofer DOT de>
To: BackupPC-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 20:17:17 +0200
> Hi,
>
> I'm running into problems by using backuppc with dhcp clients which are
> using a different subnet then the backuppc server.
> (It's not possible to use backuppc server and clients in the same subnet
> in this case. DNS Server doesn't accept DynamicDNS entries.)
>
> Error:
> Backup Process don't start because of ping fails.
> "Pings to sec43-dyn27 have failed 550 consecutive times."
>
> I have customize the NmbLookupFindHostCmd variable in config.pl and
> using the program nbtscan to get netbiosnames.
> $Conf{NmbLookupFindHostCmd} =
> '/usr/local/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_get_HostIP $host';
>
> content:
> #!/bin/sh
> test ! -z "$1" || { echo "keinen HOST angegeben" ;exit 1;}
> SEARCH="$1"
> FILE='/tmp/pclist.txt'
> /usr/sbin/nbtscan -s : subnet1>   $FILE
> /usr/sbin/nbtscan -s : subnet2>>  $FILE
> /usr/sbin/nbtscan -s : subnet3>>  $FILE
> /usr/sbin/nbtscan -s : subnet4>>  $FILE
> IP=`grep -i $SEARCH $FILE | cut -d ":" -f1`
> echo "$IP $SEARCH"
>
> output is (example):
> 192.168.1.1 sec43-dyn27
>

> If I start a backup from the console as backuppc user<BackupPC_dump -i
> sec43-dyn27>  then everything is fine. But if I perform a backup from the
> webfrontend then nothing happens besides the increasing of ping failure
> counter.
>
> Any suggestions?? Which programs will be startet in which order when I
> perform the backup from the webfrontend???
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Heiko
>
> btw: If I set the variable "PingCmd"  to $Conf{PingCmd} = '/bin/true'
> then I got the same failure.

Hi Heiko!

I seem to have the same problem as you, without the client PCs being on a
different subnet, so it's a little easier for me. But i do not think this
actually matters.

After looking at the code of the main "BackupPC" script for a while,
- and adding a lot of additional logging output -
i noticed that the sub(routine) "QueueOnePC" does not put the Task into
the queue if the specified host is a dhcp one. To circumvent this, i simply
removed the "else {" from line 1718.
Also, the BackupPC_dump script exits with return code 1 if given the IP-address
instead of the hostname, so i changed the lines containg the "unshift"-commands
to fill the "host"-variable with "$host" instead of "$hostIP" in lines 1733,
1740 and 1748.

with these changes, BackupPC_dump is called correctly, but i don't know if i
broke something else in the process.
rsync is still running on my client, so i'm waiting for the incremental backup
to succeed or fail.

also, i'm not sure that this will fix scheduled backups as well.
I hope i can spend some more time on this tomorrow, and will report on my
progress
as soon as i make some.

Best regards,
Tobias Mayer

--
tobias.mayer AT hhi.fraunhofer DOT de

Tel +49 30 314-28691

Fraunhofer Heinrich Hertz Institute /
Technische Universität Berlin

Einsteinufer 17, 10587 Berlin, Germany

www.hhi.fraunhofer.de

--
Visit us at

SID Display Week 2011 / May 15-20 / Los Angeles, CA, USA / booth 1019-4 (German
Pavilion)
www.hhi.fraunhofer.de/sid

Compound Semiconductor Week 2011 / May 22-26 / Berlin, Germany / Maritim
proArte Hotel
http://conference.vde.com/csw2011/pages/homepage.aspx

>>From Data Collection to Display - Technology Conference and Exhibition
University of California, Berkeley, USA / May 26
http://www.hhi.fraunhofer.de/ucberkeley