BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?

2011-05-17 14:06:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 14:00:43 -0400
"Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote on 05/17/2011 01:11:16 PM:

> I haven't noticed any NFS problems due to hard links.
> I get approximately the same speed of transfer operations when I am
> reading/writing regular file or massively hard-linked ones.
>
> In my experience, the issue with hard links (e.g., rsync copying of
> the pool) has nothing to do with NFS (or any file system for that
> matter).
>
> Do you have any data supporting your claim that NFS suffers more than
> other filesystems with massive hard links?
>
> Again, the only issue I have with NFS is that it is relatively slow
> when accessing large numbers of small files due to the protocol
> overhead. But even so, it is quite workable even on a 100MHz ethernet.

Woah!  I take it all back!  Feel free to use NFS:  go nuts.  Is NFS' honor now sufficiently defended?!?

Do I have "data"?  Like a peer-reviewed paper presented at a prestigious conference?  No.  Like everyone else, I have anecdotes, and I know that the plural of anecdote is not data.

However, I've got about 15 years of hard-fought experience that tells me that there are too many corner-cases that makes NFS in this application a... challenging choice.

Throw in the fact that in 98% of the time (and no, I have no "data" for that statistic, either), when someone says "NAS" they mean "extremely low-end NAS", and a device designed with the realization that 98% of the time it will be accessed via SMB *exclusively*.  For such a device, NFS support is *merely* a checkbox.  I've worked with 4 or 5 brands of these things, and *EVERY* one of them has had *some* sort of weridness with NFS:  permissions, extended attributes, whatever.

For those willing to compile their own Linux kernel or build their own distribution for an embedded device these are probably not limitations:  'tis just a flesh wound.  For most everyone else, it's often not something you want to fight through for a device that is designed to protect their data against disaster...

But like I said, go nuts with NFS.  And if it works, great.

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com