BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?

2011-05-18 02:43:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 02:41:15 -0400
Timothy J Massey wrote at about 14:00:43 -0400 on Tuesday, May 17, 2011:
 > "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote on 05/17/2011
 > 01:11:16
 > PM:
 >
 > > I haven't noticed any NFS problems due to hard links.
 > > I get approximately the same speed of transfer operations when I am
 > > reading/writing regular file or massively hard-linked ones.
 > >
 > > In my experience, the issue with hard links (e.g., rsync copying of
 > > the pool) has nothing to do with NFS (or any file system for that
 > > matter).
 > >
 > > Do you have any data supporting your claim that NFS suffers more than
 > > other filesystems with massive hard links?
 > >
 > > Again, the only issue I have with NFS is that it is relatively slow
 > > when accessing large numbers of small files due to the protocol
 > > overhead. But even so, it is quite workable even on a 100MHz ethernet.
 >
 > Woah!  I take it all back!  Feel free to use NFS:  go nuts.  Is NFS' honor
 > now sufficiently defended?!?

<lots hyperbole and other stuff snipped>

Woah Woah Woah :)

I never claimed NFS was particularly fast or better than other
solutions -- I was just addressing your seemingly unsupported blanket
statement that you didn't think anyone had gotten BackupPC to work
with NFS and that NFS suffers particularly badly from hard links --
because the fact is that rightly or wrongly *many* people actually do
run BackupPC over NFS and it works just fine as long as you have a
non-buggy NFS driver.

Furthermore, I am not aware of any "corner cases" (as you call them)
that would cause BackupPC over NFS to fail in any unexpected way and I
have not experienced any issue with hard links.

So I merely asked whether you have data to support your blanket
assertions -- I was not claiming that NFS is any better (or worse)
than other similar situations -- in fact, I readily admit that there
are other network based filesystems that are likely to be superior.

I would be interested in any data or even anecdotes you have to back
up your assertions about NFS being buggy or unworkable for BackupPC --
otherwise, let's end this thread...