BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?

2011-05-18 04:40:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 09:37:39 +0100
On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 02:45 -0400, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote at about 15:02:37 -0500 on Tuesday, May
> 17, 2011:
>  > I found it to be a lot easier to deal with booting off a 3ware controller
>  > than to reliably get redundant boot records on software RAID. That's the
>  > main reason I prefer a hardware RAID controller.
>  >
> But I was under the impression that for smaller systems one is better
> off with software RAID since with hardware RAID if your card dies then
> you may be stuck with a proprietary inaccessible RAID unless you can
> find another similar hardware RAID card...

I run five BackupPC servers, each archiving from 7 to 70 hosts. Two of
them run on 3ware RAID, two of them using Linux software raid (md raid),
and one uses no RAID at all. I've had no trouble getting any of them to
boot, moving disks between them, or recovering.

Yes, you would need another 3ware card handy if you had to recover disks
from another 3ware-based system. If you're serious about your backups
you have a standby backup server anyway, with the same specs.

mdadm is fine, stable, and fast enough for most needs. Even on your boot
device. I've even written a guide for moving your boot device from no
raid to software raid (not BackupPC specific):

http://www.tolaris.com/2008/10/01/moving-your-linux-root-partition-to-raid/

Regards,
Tyler

--
"It seems logical to me that he who supports total war in principle
cannot complain of war against civilians."