BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?

2011-05-17 12:22:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?
From: Erik Hjertén <erik.hjerten AT companion DOT se>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 17:47:40 +0200
lmirguet AT microworld DOT org skrev 2011-05-17 16:23:
Hello backuppc-users,

I would like to backup all the machines of my company (12 laptops, Windows/Mac/Linux) in a centralized way on a NAS device.
I like a lot BackupPC and if possible I would like to use it to run the backups.

Now comes the choice of the NAS... What NAS device would you recommend with a good ratio "performance / easy to install BackupPC on it" ?

The ideal situation would be a NAS with BackupPC pre-installed - or a NAS with some available BackupPC packages ready to deploy.
I looked at Synology / QNap / WD Sharespace but in each case the install of BackupPC seems tedious, and I'm not sure of the performances I will get on such devices...

Thanks for your advices and your help
---
Laurent
I use the small and simple Netgear Readynas Duo with backuppc running on my Ubuntu server. I went with this solution as I thought it would be easy and problem free. If I was to do it today I would have gone with a dedicated Lunux-server with backuppc on it and no NAS at all. With a simple NAS as I have you will get tied down with limitations on different things. (One irritation with my NAS is that it won´t power up after a power failure) Maybe a larger and more robust NAS will have less limitations but will also cost more.

So, why the NAS? Have you considered a dedicated server instead? It will perhaps be harder to setup but you will get all the help you need from the Linux/Unix community and here.

Kind regards
/Erik
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Achieve unprecedented app performance and reliability What every C/C++ and Fortran developer should know. Learn how Intel has extended the reach of its next-generation tools to help boost performance applications - inlcuding clusters. http://p.sf.net/sfu/intel-dev2devmay

Companion Erik Hjertén
erik.hjerten AT companion DOT se
0708-90 55 30

Näsvägen 40, 139 33 Värmdö