BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics

2011-03-18 13:49:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: gayleard AT eircom DOT net, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 13:47:05 -0400
Timothy Murphy wrote at about 16:08:55 +0000 on Friday, March 18, 2011:
 > Les Mikesell wrote:
 >
 > > I've seen memtest take 3 days to find bad RAM.  Sometimes only certain
 > > patterns/timing will fail.
 >
 > The standard memtest86+ completes in about 90 minutes
 > on all the computers I have.
 > As far as I can see, it just starts again and runs the same tests
 > if you leave it running.

Because sometimes it takes several runs before the error occurs -- the
memory may be 'flakey' not broken.
In fact, if the memory were truly badly broken, it wouldn't even past
the boot test... so often we are dealing with rare events triggered by
heat, random fluctuations, who knows... that's why you sometimes need
to run memtest for a day or more to identify rare intermittent errors.