BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics

2011-03-18 11:02:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 10:00:03 -0500
On 3/18/2011 8:22 AM, Joe Konecny wrote:
> On 3/18/2011 5:00 AM, hansbkk AT gmail DOT com wrote:
>> People answering question that have been already been answered
>> thousands of times are doing nothing but wasting time and bandwidth -
>> not just their's but everyone else's who participates in that
>> list/forum.
>
> This isn't valid.  With today's pipes bandwidth isn't a concern as
> far as forums go.

I think the bandwidth in question is human.  There is only so much time
to read and reply.

 > I realize this is a mailing list and not a
> forum but you can probably read the archives if it bothers you.

Actually, this is also a forum by virtue of backupcentral.com's gateway.
  And most of the beginner questions originate there, even though it has
a search facility.  The problem is that forum users only ask questions
and once their own question has been answered and they have some
experience, they never return to help with anyone else's problem.

> One
> could argue that the more (quality) traffic we have the better.  I stand
> by my assertion if you want a product to succeed than it is better
> to relentlessly answer questions.  If I had a product I was trying
> to sell, I assure you that is what I would do.  We don't want to
> chase away users.  Then development stops.

But no one is selling a product here. It works, it is simple and
elegant, it does some things that nothing else does, and if someone asks
a question that some other user has solved recently it will get an
answer.  It is pretty much all laid out in the documentation anyway
although since the configs are perl snippets it helps to know an array
or hash of arrays when you see them.