BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics

2011-03-18 12:26:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics
From: Joe Konecny <jkonecny AT rmtohio DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 12:24:31 -0400
On 3/18/2011 11:49 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 3/18/2011 10:26 AM, Joe Konecny wrote:
>> On 3/18/2011 11:00 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> But no one is selling a product here.
>>
>> It is being sold in a metaphorical sense.
>
> So, do I get a metaphorical commission if I help metaphorically sell
> copies to people who won't bother to read the docs?

It's not about selling backuppc in the sense that you get money.  It's
about promoting.  I used the word "selling" to describe what I would do
if I had a product to make money off of.  If I was making money sales
from some product I would answer questions regardless of who read what.
I would want to promote/sell in spite of how well I perceived my users
to have read the docs.

>>>                                              It works, it is simple and
>>> elegant, it does some things that nothing else does, and if someone asks
>>> a question that some other user has solved recently it will get an
>>> answer.
>>
>> Well if you count rtfm as an answer then I agree.
>
> If someone won't read the docs or google for existing solutions, how
> much else can you do?  But I think if you look through the list archives
> you'll see answers where the questions are specific enough to actually
> have an answer and common enough that someone else knows it.

You point them to the locations and even paragraphs of docs to read.  Maybe
even post snippets of docs.