BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics

2011-03-18 12:48:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 11:46:56 -0500
On 3/18/2011 11:24 AM, Joe Konecny wrote:

>>> It is being sold in a metaphorical sense.
>>
>> So, do I get a metaphorical commission if I help metaphorically sell
>> copies to people who won't bother to read the docs?
>
> It's not about selling backuppc in the sense that you get money.  It's
> about promoting.

No, it's about the reason to promote.  With free software there are
plenty of reasons to seek it out and use it, but pretty much by
definition it isn't going to make much difference to anyone else whether
you do or not.

> I used the word "selling" to describe what I would do
> if I had a product to make money off of.  If I was making money sales
> from some product I would answer questions regardless of who read what.
> I would want to promote/sell in spite of how well I perceived my users
> to have read the docs.

You do understand that the author of the program has a day job, don't
you (as the CEO of a large company...)?

>> If someone won't read the docs or google for existing solutions, how
>> much else can you do?  But I think if you look through the list archives
>> you'll see answers where the questions are specific enough to actually
>> have an answer and common enough that someone else knows it.
>
> You point them to the locations and even paragraphs of docs to read.  Maybe
> even post snippets of docs.

Anyone can participate here.  Show us how it should be done.