BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics

2011-03-18 12:26:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: gayleard AT eircom DOT net, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 16:24:42 +0000
On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 16:08 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> The standard memtest86+ completes in about 90 minutes
> on all the computers I have.
> As far as I can see, it just starts again and runs the same tests
> if you leave it running.
>
> Also, when I have a bad memory module, as in this case,
> I get hundreds of errors in Test 2, after a couple of minutes.

Unfortunately, memtest+'s results are only reliable if they are
negative. A positive results means "good ram, or bad ram that just
hasn't erred yet". Which is why you have to run it for days to be
reasonably sure (but still not 100%).

However, some errors do produce reliable failures, such as the bad
module you describe.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"The fundamental problem for the West is not Islamic fundamentalism. It
is Islam, a different civilisation whose people are convinced of the