BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics

2011-03-18 09:44:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 20:42:29 +0700
On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Joe Konecny <jkonecny AT rmtohio DOT com>
wrote:
> On 3/18/2011 5:00 AM, hansbkk AT gmail DOT com wrote:
> This isn't valid.  With today's pipes bandwidth isn't a concern as
> far as forums go.  I realize this is a mailing list and not a

I meant the mental bandwidth of the participants.

> forum but you can probably read the archives if it bothers you.  One
> could argue that the more (quality) traffic we have the better.  I stand
> by my assertion if you want a product to succeed than it is better
> to relentlessly answer questions.  If I had a product I was trying
> to sell, I assure you that is what I would do.  We don't want to
> chase away users.  Then development stops.

Key word is quality. Which IMO means interesting discussions that
further the development efforts as per the "smart questions" howto.
"We" aren't selling anything, opensource software isn't a "product",
it's a project driven by its users - success is simply satisfying
their needs. If there aren't enough sufficiently skilled and motivated
users around to keep a project going, then it dies and so it should,
but the number of non-contributing users are not a support but a drain
on the communities resources if they don't follow basic netiquette.

If you want to become a user you need to pay the price - in the FOSS
world, that usually means higher knowledge/experience prerequisites
and a steeper learning curve, not to mention the implied obligation to
contribute back to the community.

No one is obliged to help people that haven't read the docs or
searched for answers to FAQs asking basic questions. However if you
would like to spend your time doing so, no one will object. Just don't
talk as if anything you get for free from the generous developers and
user community is yours by right, everything you get here is a gift
for which the only appropriate response is gratitude.

And of course all of this is just IMHO, feel free to disagree, that's
what makes the world so interesting.