BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics

2011-03-18 18:22:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: gayleard AT eircom DOT net, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 18:20:19 -0400
Timothy Murphy wrote at about 21:36:19 +0000 on Friday, March 18, 2011:
 > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 >
 > > Timothy Murphy wrote at about 17:57:18 +0000 on Friday, March 18, 2011:
 > >  > In my (very long, I started with a paper-tape machine) experience
 > >  > one almost always gets better advice on Windows problems
 > >  > from Unix/Linux gurus.
 > >
 > > Wow! I know that Windows was originally distributed on 3.5" disks and
 > > perhaps even on the larger 5 1/4 size. But I had know idea that Bill
 > > ever distributed Windows on paper tape -- given how bloatware Windows
 > > is, that must have killed a lot of trees. Were the MS forums also
 > > archived on tape too? :P
 >
 > The era I was referring to was long before Windows or even Unix.
 > The first computer I used was in the Mathematical Laboratory
 > at Cambridge, I guess in the mid-1950s.
 > I don't think there really was an OS in the modern sense.
 > There was a version of Fortran though, also on paper tape.
 > The main thing was that the Lab remained warm even when there were
 > several feet of snow in the Fens.
 > The remarkable thing is how much serious work was done on that machine,
 > eg the work by Swinnerton-Dyer (and Birch) on elliptic curves.

I was joking! ... but interesting nonetheless... my first computer
experience was on a timeshare punch cards machine learning Fortran
back in junior high in the mid-70s... then on to an acoustical coupler
line printer in high school... then a hobbyist semi-homebrew bare
board 6502 microprocessor computer... etc...