BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble setting up backup to a Windows host

2010-03-16 09:06:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble setting up backup to a Windows host
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 08:04:19 -0500
Sorin Srbu wrote:

>> From what I understand, that sounds like it's rejecting the
>> authentication passed to it, not accepting the credentials the unix
>> machine is passing.
>>
>> Are you running a domain?
>
> Yes I do. A regular plain vanilla Win2k3-domain.

Is your smb.conf set up to match?  I'm not sure if mounting via cifs reads it,
but for smbclient you need to have at least the domain and password server set
in there, and maybe security=server.  If this is really Active Directory, it
needs to have the domain compatibility mode set or you may need some other
settings - and to join the domain.

> Does this BPC-solution by any chance require that passwords are sent in
> clear text? I'm grasping for straws...

I'm not sure plain text is ever used.  The choices would be NT LANMAN style
hashes or whatever they changed to in win2k3.  A samba 3.x version should be
able to do both. I don't think the kernel cifs module does kerberos or client
signing, though.