BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble setting up backup to a Windows host

2010-03-16 11:03:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble setting up backup to a Windows host
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:01:42 -0500
On 3/16/2010 9:32 AM, Sorin Srbu wrote:
>>  If this is really Active Directory, it
>> needs to have the domain compatibility mode set or you may need some other
>> settings - and to join the domain.
>
> With the security set to server I get the error "Failed to join domain:
> Invalid domain role". If security is set to ADS it asks for a password and I
> get "Using short domain name..." and " could not connect to server
> DC.mydomain" and " The user name or password was not correct".

I believe you need administrator credentials for the initial join of a
machine to a domain.  After the join, you can log in as a normal user.
But, if you are doing backups you'll need to be admin or in the backup
group anyway.

>>> Does this BPC-solution by any chance require that passwords are sent in
>>> clear text? I'm grasping for straws...
>>
>> I'm not sure plain text is ever used.  The choices would be NT LANMAN style
>> hashes or whatever they changed to in win2k3.  A samba 3.x version should be
>> able to do both. I don't think the kernel cifs module does kerberos or client
>> signing, though.
>
> Just checked the Windows Default Domain Policy to make sure. The LAN Manager
> Authentication level is set to "Send NTLMv2 response only/Refuse LM&  NTLM".
> This is another enforced policy from the University IT-department. I don't
> know however if this is a problem for BPC and the authentication. Maybe
> somebody else knows.

This should work with smbclient - not sure about the kernel cifs module.
  If you aren't able to make smb authentication work, you might try
cwrsync - I think in the latest versions running rsync under sshd
actually works.