BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble setting up backup to a Windows host

2010-03-11 13:52:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble setting up backup to a Windows host
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:50:20 -0600
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to setup a backup for a Windows host following the instructions
> on
> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BackupPC#head-9b279fb9534c6455ddadfd01dd91dddd
> 2260b4cf. The particular place I'm getting stuck at is the part where
> you're
> supposed to cd /windows/machinename. That doesn't work; I get an error "
> -bash: cd: /windows/starforge/: No such file or directory".
>
> At the second step where trying to mount the machine to the folder, I get
> "unexpected token '('". When I remove the parentheses around "ro,man" and
> run the mount command again, I get the mount help screen.
>       I've never seen the word "on" on a mount command. Should it really
> be there?
>
> I've tried to google this and sort out the problem, but have so far come
> up
> with nothing. The machine in question is a domain-connected server. Could
> there be a problem there, in that the BPC-machine can't connect to a
> domain-computer?
>
> Any help or insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
> --
> BW,

For the record, getting autofs working on CentOS has nothing to do with
BackupPC, so you may be looking in the wrong place.  I don't see anything
wrong with the instructions at your link, so perhaps I can clarify:

# mount
//machinename/C$ on /windows/machinename type cifs (ro,mand)

What follows the hash symbol is what you type:  mount.  The rest of that
is the results of the mount command, if you have everything working
properly.  You don't type it.

Just typing "mount," incidentally, is supposed to show what automount has
mounted, it doesn't actually do anything.  Had you configured autofs per
the instructions, cd'ing to /windows/machinename would actually accomplish
the mount.