BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble setting up backup to a Windows host

2010-03-17 05:24:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble setting up backup to a Windows host
From: Chris Bennett <chris AT ceegeebee DOT com>
To: sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 19:51:18 +1030
> can not change directory into mount target /windows/starforge".

The only way I get that error is if the mount point
(/windows/starforge) does not exist.

Here's how I can reproduce your error:

[root@hc mnt]# ls /windows/starforge
ls: /windows/starforge: No such file or directory

[root@hc mnt]# mount.cifs //192.168.1.181/c$ /windows/starforge -o
username=administrator  --verbose
mount error: can not change directory into mount target /windows/starforge

So, I'm pretty sure your mount point doesn't exist.  Let's have you do
this (this is what I said you should do in my first post! :D):

  mkdir -p /windows/starforge
  mount.cifs //starforge/c$ /windows/starforge -o
username=administrator,domain=mydomain --verbose

The command is subtly different from my first response - this time
we'll not use the credentials file but instead supply the username and
domain.  The password is not specified so that the tool prompts you
for the password.

I've attached some examples of what the output of this should like
like for various cases (bad password, non-existant mount point,
successful mount).

Hopefully you will see some success shortly :)

Regards,

Chris Bennett
cgb