BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble setting up backup to a Windows host

2010-03-16 12:04:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Trouble setting up backup to a Windows host
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:03:01 -0500
On 3/16/2010 10:45 AM, Max Hetrick wrote:

>> This should work with smbclient - not sure about the kernel cifs module.
>>    If you aren't able to make smb authentication work, you might try
>> cwrsync - I think in the latest versions running rsync under sshd
>> actually works.
>>

> I'm mounting shares inside a domain just fine, but I'm also mounting
> these shares at home on a Windows machine where I have no domain
> running. I'm just passing the local administrator username and password
> from BackupPC. The only issue I had was the Windows firewall not
> allowing this traffic to pass.

Yes, that should work - the piece I'm not sure the kernel module handles
yet is where AD requires kerboros authentication or client signing as it
can in win2k3 server and later.  That has been added to the current
samba user level app but I don't think the kernel module can do it
unless it has been added very recently.