BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 7 pro rsyncd service installation: cygrunsrv: Error installing a service OpenSCManager: Win32 error 5: Access is denied

2010-03-04 15:37:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 7 pro rsyncd service installation: cygrunsrv: Error installing a service OpenSCManager: Win32 error 5: Access is denied
From: Trey Nolen <support AT internetpro DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 14:08:36 -0600

I'm trying to get the rsyncd service installed on a Win 7 pro system
as an administrative user. I'm using the rsyncd 2.6.8 package from
here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/backuppc/files/cygwin-rsyncd/

When I run service.bat I get the error:

cygrunsrv: Error installing a service OpenSCManager: Win32 error 5:
Access is denied

I've gone to just installing the full cygwin package from cygwin.com.

I use this command to set up the rsyncd service.

c:\cygwin\bin\cygrunsrv.exe -I rsyncd -e CYGWIN=nontsec -p c:/cygwin/bin/rsync.exe -a "--config=c:/cygwin/etc/rsyncd.conf --daemon --no-detach"

With the new version of Cygwin, you no longer have to setup rsync as a daemon like this.  You can use the rsync Xfer method instead of rsyncd.  That may solve your issue.

Trey Nolen