BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and Barracudaware

2009-09-03 05:58:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and Barracudaware
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 11:54:00 +0200
On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 10:31:21PM -0500, Jim Leonard wrote:

> > I'm using bacula to backup the generated tar files and have them deleted
> > afterwards.
>
> This is off-topic, I apologize, but if you are using Bacula, then why do
> you have a BackupPC installation?

There are several reasons:

- BackupPC was deployed first and it works well. Never change a running
  system if it suits all your needs (so far).
- We're backing up multiple hosts over Internet. Rsync saves us a lot
  of bandwidth.
- Bacula has two purposes for us: provide offsite backup to tape and
  store our database dumps (where BackupPC isn't good at because the
  files change each day - about 70Gb each day)
- IMO it is easier to restore files to a server using BackupPC - e.g.
  after reinstall - it just needs ssh running and rsync installed.
- I didn't like the extra bacula client on servers. But I didn't look
  deeply into it either.
- BackupPC has a nice Web interface. We've had troubles finding a
  working bat when we installed Bacula (it might have been improved, but
  I'm a bit anxious to update our Bacula 2.2.x to 3.0) - we're a SuSE
  shop and had lots of segfaults etc.

Counter-question: Why should I use Bacula instead? (I'm serious, I'm
interested in possible reasons I might have missed.)

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de