BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support

2009-06-23 11:10:24
Subject: [BackupPC-users] rsync 3.0.x with Windows VSS-support
From: Alex <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 11:04:24 -0400

Alex wrote:

> Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> > Alex wrote at about 10:04:12 -0400 on Tuesday, June 23, 2009:
> >

> > > Hello,
> > > back again, just still experimenting this solution, everything is ok
> > > while reading.
> > >
> > > But, i'm used to restore data on Windows PC using the chmod command
> > > "--chmod=Dugo+rwx,Fugo+rwx" to allow user to read files.
> > >
> > > Because rsync runs as daemon under system account, writen files are not
> > > readable, so i use the chmod.
> > >
> > > This work great with the "normal" rsync.exe binary, but with the one
> > > using VSS (wich is perfect for backup) the chmod doesn't work.
> > >
> > > I think there's something to do with the fact that VSS is active by
> > > default, and then, when writing data, it first write to VSS and then sync
> > > to drive.
> > > In this case, chmod doesn't work, and restored file is not readable.
> > >

> > Are you sure? At least on Win XP, VSS is read-only.
> > If what you say is true, I would think that either chmod is not
> > properly implemented in the VSS version of rsync or there is a
> > permissions issue whereby the Windows side of rsync is running under a
> > user that doesn't have permission to execute the chmod.
> >

> > > So, may you help ? I think getting the ability to disable VSS using flag
> > > like "--novss" could be great for restoration purposes.
> > >

> > Not sure how you would add a new flag on the Linux side without
> > rewriting the Linux version of rsync too.
> >

> > > Hope you understand what i mean, et maybe you got an idea. I use rsync as
> > > a deamon using deltacopy on the windows side.
> > >
> > > Thank you for any help/idea/new version :p ....
> > >

> > A temporary situation would be to use the normal (e.g., cygwin)
> > version of rsync for restores and only use the VSS version for backups.

> Well i think you're right when you say that chmod is not
> properly implemented in the VSS version of rsync as it run as system account
> et chmod is working properly with the "normal" version of rsync.
> So, hope the next version will get it better. But it should support it as the
> "rsync.exe --help" show the chmod capability.
>
> I'ill stay in touch with this thread if any solution comes up...

That's it, in the log file i see during restore :
connect from UKNOWN x.X.X.X &#40;ip adress&#41;
receiving file list
Using VSS Volume &#58; \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\....shadowcopy1
Error -2147212521 on line 85! &#40;problem writing on vss i think&#41;
Error -2147024809 on line 100! &#40;again&#41;
Using VSS volume &#58; &#40;null&#41;
sent 277 bytes received 156 bytes total size 82

So, this seem to show that it try to use VSS for restoration, but it can't
write on it, so it get the "null", and finally write to drive. But this error
may cause the chmod not to be executed.

So, if there a way to disable VSS on file receive, that could do the trick ! So
VSS may start only when reading datas happen.

Hope these informations help.