BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions

2009-05-22 20:59:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 02:54:01 +0200
Hi,

Les Mikesell wrote on 2009-05-22 18:55:10 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob
questions]:
> Daniel Carrera wrote:
> > Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> The quick fix might be a cron job to start/stop the service at
> >> appropriate times for you. [...]
> >
> > Snag is that I don't know ahead of time how long BackupPC needs to
> > finish a given backup. I don't want to interrupt it part-way through a
> > backup. I would be nice if I could get BackupPC to stop itself whenever
> > it finishes doing a backup.

you *could* use the DumpPostUserCmd to send a serverMesg to shutdown BackupPC,
but I wouldn't recommend that for two reasons:

1.) BackupPC_link needs to run after a backup, so you'd have to delay the
    shutdown for a short but unknown time ('at now + 5 minutes' ?).

2.) BackupPC_nightly needs to run on a regular basis if you want backup
    expiry to work correctly (i.e. actually free any space) and the statistics
    to say anything meaningful.

> > Then it would look more like a cron job and
> > less like an always-an daemon. But I don't suppose that there is an easy
> > way to make it do that.
>
> I don't think scheduled stopping/starting would be a problem in practice
> - and if it is, perhaps you'll be convinced to add a dedicated server to
> handle it.   The timing is pretty consistent unless

... something unexpected happens. I think we are doing backups to guard
against the effects of unexpected things.

No, using BackupPC "like a cron job" is already a kludge. If you do that, at
least do it properly.

Regards,
Holger