BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions

2009-05-23 12:25:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 11:21:17 -0500
Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Holger Parplies wrote:
>> you *could* use the DumpPostUserCmd to send a serverMesg to shutdown
>> BackupPC,
>> but I wouldn't recommend that for two reasons:
>>
>> 1.) BackupPC_link needs to run after a backup, so you'd have to delay the
>>     shutdown for a short but unknown time ('at now + 5 minutes' ?).
>>
>> 2.) BackupPC_nightly needs to run on a regular basis if you want backup
>>     expiry to work correctly (i.e. actually free any space) and the
>> statistics
>>     to say anything meaningful.
>

> How about if I setup additional cron jobs to run BackupPC_link
> regularly? (e.g. run BackupPC on even-number hours and BackupPC_link on
> odd-number hours). Similarly, could I setup another cron job to run
> BackupPC_nightly every night?

What it needs is to be on when the other PC is available for a backup
and for some time at midnight when it cleans up expired items from the
pool.  When I said you could schedule it with cron I guess I was
thinking you wouldn't be up all night removing and connecting the
external drive so you'd have a long 'on' cycle while you sleep.  But,
that could be a problem if either PC is turned off at night.  The other
thing that hasn't been mentioned is that both the target and server are
fairly busy while the backups run so backups are usually scheduled for
times when people aren't working when possible.