BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions

2009-05-22 15:52:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 14:48:20 -0500
Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Hi Les,
>
> Thanks for the help. Comments below.
>
>> It doesn't have a concept of it's archive directory being
>> gone, though.  You'll probably have to start and stop the service when
>> you connect/remove it.
>
> Would it be difficult to add this feature? I imagine that I'm not the
> first person to try to use an external disk as a backup medium. But it
> is the nature of an external disk that it might not be connected.

I suspect that most people using an external disk use more than one and
leave one connected most of the time.   Part of the value is the web
interface that permits restores from the other computer(s) anytime.

> If I had to start/stop the service every time I connect, I'd probably
> get tired. I don't think that this is a long term solution. Perhaps it's
> possible to add something similar to:
>
> if ( ! -d $Conf{TopDir} ) {
>      print (LOG $bpc->timeStamp, "No backup medium\n");
>      exit(1);
> }
>

> Looks like a simple and generally useful addition. Is there any chance
> that this might be added to BackupPC?

It would probably exit on such an error anyway, but there is a bigger
issue. You can't just disconnect a disk without unmounting first anyway
- and the disk isn't going to automatically mount in the right place
without some help either. Why not run a script to stop the service and
unmount and another to mount where it needs to be and start the service?