BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions

2009-05-23 12:52:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 11:44:03 -0500
Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Adam Goryachev wrote:
>>> Anyways, thanks for all the help.
>> I've seen on this list some people have managed to use an external HDD
>> (well, a NAS) to actually run
>> Backuppc, sounds like your environment would be well suited to this
>> solution... small requirements, and ability to leave the nas on at all
>> times so whenever you plugin your laptop's, they will be backed up...
>> I think the one I recall was the Dlink something 323
>
> What is a NAS?

NAS (network attached storage) is a network file server (as opposed to
SAN (storage area network) which provide block level access with drivers
  that make it look more like a local device.  These used to be
extremely expensive enterprise-level devices but now there are cheap
home versions that generally have an embedded linux OS and can provide
other services like serving audio/images/video to network players, and
ftp and web servers.  They come in various sizes and often aren't much
bigger than the set of drives they hold.

> I'm not sure I understand your suggestion. Can you explain it a bit more?

The straightforward approach is to add a device as an NFS file server on
your network that stays mounted all the time instead of the external
drive that might be removed.  There are some performances issues with
NFS but it should work on a small scale.  If you want to work harder,
you might be able to find one that is capable of running backuppc on the
device itself - but then the advantage over a dedicated computer is just
the size and power consumption.