BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions

2009-05-22 18:01:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions
From: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT theingots DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 23:57:02 +0200
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Daniel Carrera wrote at about 23:02:57 +0200 on Friday, May 22, 2009:
>  > Well, in my mind, I wasn't planning to do it while it's actually backing
>  > up. If BackupPC makes a backup every hour, I don't mind waiting until
>  > it's quiet to unplug the disk and take my laptop to the bedroom.
>
> I think your missing Les's point about this being designed from a
> Unix/server philosophy. BackupPC runs *all* the time.

Yes. I thought BackupPC was more like a cron job that runs once every
hour. My current script runs every 2 hours, so I always know when it's
not running. But if BackupPC runs all the time, then that's different.

Are you aware of any backup tool that might be more suitable for what I
need? My script works well and I'm happy with it, but I wouldn't mind
getting some additional features like compression and exponential
backups which my script doesn't do.

Daniel.