BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions

2009-05-22 16:18:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Noob questions
From: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT theingots DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 22:15:08 +0200
Les Mikesell wrote:
> I suspect that most people using an external disk use more than one and
> leave one connected most of the time.

I can't see myself ever doing that. I don't know why I would ever need
two external disks.

> It would probably exit on such an error anyway, but there is a bigger
> issue. You can't just disconnect a disk without unmounting first anyway
> - and the disk isn't going to automatically mount in the right place
> without some help either.

On my system the disk always reliably mounts on /media/Daniel. You just
need to give the partition a label ("Daniel") which I would do anyways,
simply because I like the disk having a memorable name.

Alternative, an appropriate entry in /etc/fstab using the disk's UUID
can also make sure that the disk is always mounted in the correct path.

Anyways, checking that the backup directory exists seems like a no
brainer, even if you don't think specifically of the case of external disks.

> Why not run a script to stop the service and
> unmount and another to mount where it needs to be and start the service?

Ubuntu mounts the external disk automatically. I don't have to type
"mount". In addition, to unmount, I usually use the GUI (right-click >
unmount). It seems like a lot of hassle to fight the auto-mount
mechanism for a simple check that IMO BackupPC should do anyways.

If I wrote a backup tool that was supposed to write to a certain
directory, I would check that the directory exists even if I didn't
think specifically of the case of external disks.

It's only a 2-3 line change. It doesn't seem like an unreasonable
addition to BackupPC...

Daniel.