BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Working Well - Except Archiving

2008-11-24 08:20:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Working Well - Except Archiving
From: <samk-01 AT ntlworld DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:17:46 +0000

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

> So you could right a script instead.

The solution adopted is to use BackupPC_archiveStart in conjunction with
$Conf{ArchivePreUserCmd} $Conf{ArchivePostUserCmd} each running a mini script
to mount or unmount the encrypted disk.

This has exposed some odd behavior in BackupPC.  The archive is produced in
...ArchiveName.tar.gz format.  To obtain this result ...ArchiveHost/config.pl
must contain
$Conf{ArchiveComp} = '/bin/gzip';
Creating the archive consistently fails if the full path to gzip is not
specified. However, making a change and save via the BackupPC web page either
deletes this entry or changes it to "gzip" i.e. removes the path.

In either case archive creation fails until ...ArchiveHost/config.pl is
manually edited to restore the  the full path /bin/gzip.

Is this really odd behavior or simply my lack of familiarity with BackupPC?

SamK