BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 2000 server and windows 2003 server

2008-06-18 08:56:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 2000 server and windows 2003 server
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: David Kuntadi <d.kuntadi AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 07:56:33 -0500
David Kuntadi wrote:
>>>From backuppc server, I could see the windows server using "smbtree -b
> -N",  and using "smbtree -b -U username%password" I could even see the
> shared folders.
>
> But when I try to backup using smb, still it was aborted due to "no file
> dump".
>
> I decided to mount windows server share first to backuppc server, and
> backup using localhost. So far it could backup successfully.
>
> Anybody has comment on the drawback of this method?

If that works, the normal method should too.  I believe there are some
versions of smbclient with bugs in command line parsing that have
trouble with backuppc.  It's been mentioned on the list but I've
forgotten the details.  Also, smbclient reads your default smb.conf file
even though most of its settings relate to the server so it is possible
to have problems that relate to the password server or similar global
settings there.