BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 2000 server and windows 2003 server

2008-06-19 01:03:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 2000 server and windows 2003 server
From: "Jim McNamara" <jim.mcnamara AT gmail DOT com>
To: "David Kuntadi" <d.kuntadi AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 01:03:25 -0400
I have found that rsyncd usually needs to be run with administrator rights. Trying to get it to run as a regular user or a system account has always failed for me. With your connection refused message, I suspect that rsyncd is not running at all. try either using nmap or telnetting to the windows box at port 873. If those fail or don't show activity at port 873, rsyncd isn't running on the windows box, so there is nothing for the backuppc machine to connect to.

Most likely, you'll have much better backups with rsyncd instead of samba, so I'd encourage you to get that working.

Peace,
Jim

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 8:40 PM, David Kuntadi <d.kuntadi AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> If that works, the normal method should too.  I believe there are some
> versions of smbclient with bugs in command line parsing that have trouble
> with backuppc.  It's been mentioned on the list but I've forgotten the
> details.  Also, smbclient reads your default smb.conf file even though most
> of its settings relate to the server so it is possible to have problems that
> relate to the password server or similar global settings there.

That is what  thought. But I think the problem is backuppc need to
pass windows user name and password first before it could launch
rsync, which is I do not know how to do it. Looks like the normal way
of rsync require windows "already open".

Regards,
David