BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] NAS Based Backuppc

2008-06-18 07:02:19
Subject: [BackupPC-users] NAS Based Backuppc
From: naigy <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 06:05:35 -0400
Hi,

I am looking at incorporating Backuppc into my home enviroment. I have 3
Windows PC and a File / Home Mail Server (Linksys Nslu2) which I would like to
backup. I am wondering if there is a Network Access Server like the Western
Digital MyBook World or Terastation etc. which can be modified (ie Hacked if
required) to run BackupPC including the web interface so that it is all on the
one device. I realise that using these basic devices make these kind of
processes very slow but really like the feature set of BackupPC and also having
the backup process automated in a way that fits in with laptops etc. while not
taking away processing time etc on the individual workstations plus the issue
of compatability accross the linux and windows platforms.

I have run BackupPC on my Linksys Nslu and done a couple of tests and it
appears to work well but as one of the drives I want to back up is the drive
connected to this device I can not run it on this device plus it is a little
bloated as it is (file, mail, web, vpn server).

Speed is as stated not really much of a concern it is more the compatibility
and support for the device / and preferably BackupPC on that device that I am
after.

Any advice on any devices which are capable of doing this would be appreciated.
I only need something with a drive approx 150GB but if it is a bigger capacity
then thats fine too. Thanks in advance.