BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 2000 server and windows 2003 server

2008-06-19 01:21:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 2000 server and windows 2003 server
From: "David Kuntadi" <d.kuntadi AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Jim McNamara" <jim.mcnamara AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:21:52 +0700
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 12:03 PM, Jim McNamara <jim.mcnamara AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> I have found that rsyncd usually needs to be run with administrator rights.
> Trying to get it to run as a regular user or a system account has always
> failed for me. With your connection refused message, I suspect that rsyncd
> is not running at all. try either using nmap or telnetting to the windows
> box at port 873. If those fail or don't show activity at port 873, rsyncd
> isn't running on the windows box, so there is nothing for the backuppc
> machine to connect to.
>
> Most likely, you'll have much better backups with rsyncd instead of samba,
> so I'd encourage you to get that working.

It is true. I have problem with Samba Character setting now, trying to
figure out.

When I try to run rsyncd using administrator account (not
localsystem), it could not be started. When I use LocalSystem, it
actually did not but without any notice.

Is there any instruction to troubleshoot rsyncd?

Regards,
David