BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 2000 server and windows 2003 server

2008-06-17 21:47:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Windows 2000 server and windows 2003 server
From: "Jim McNamara" <jim.mcnamara AT gmail DOT com>
To: "David Kuntadi" <d.kuntadi AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 21:47:01 -0400
First things first. How did you install rsyncd on the server? Did you use the cygwin-rsyncd package from the sourceforge site?

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=34854&package_id=88133

Odds are very good that you have a windows or other software firewall in place. You need to punch a hole at port 873 for rsync to get through.

If you are using the cygwin-rsyncd package, I've found that windows server 2000 is usually friendly with the hosts allow = a.b.c.d/n notation, but server 2003 usually insists that it is just the IP of the backuppc server.

Also, as listed above, try signing in to your backuppc box as the backuppc user, and just try "rsync host::" The module part will be printed for you. If "rsync host::" doesn't return anything, you aren't making a connection to the windows box.

Peace,
Jim

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 8:38 PM, David Kuntadi <d.kuntadi AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 7:30 PM, Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com> wrote:

> rsync host::module
>
> The double colons indicate a standalone remote and if you don't give a 2nd
> argument you'll get a directory listing instead of a copy.  If you don't get
> a connection, check for firewalling between or on the client.

When I try:

rsync xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(client IP address)::module

I got:
rsync: failed to connect to XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX: Connection refused (111)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(98)

Regards,
David