Amanda-Users

Re: Disaster recovery and amanda-2.6.0b1

2008-01-14 15:05:24
Subject: Re: Disaster recovery and amanda-2.6.0b1
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:59:57 -0500
On Monday 14 January 2008, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>On Jan 14, 2008 11:22 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net> wrote:
>> I just looked at the runtar-debug and it looks like we have a version
>> mixing problem, they all say they were generated by 2.5.2p1!  Or did
>> someone forget to update an internal version string?
>
>It's updated in HEAD -- try running 'amgetconf build.VERSION'.

1. it looks for /amanda.conf in the pwd directory.
2. cd'ing to /usr/local/etc/amanda/Daily it returns:
[amanda@coyote Daily]$ amgetconf build.VERSION
2.6.0b1-20080111

>> Now, I'm thinking that my script which has some of the executables
>> locations hard coded in a config file, might need that config file brought
>> up to date. Once I get some caffiene injected, I need to goto work and
>> won't get get back to this till this evening.
>
>Yes, that's quite possible.

Fixed I hope.  This past run worked with that changed.

>> As far as testing, I can run the make installcheck without screwing things
>> up as I can re-run the mkvtapes script and re-init the vtapes in a few
>> seconds.
>
>I'm hesitant to promise anything, but actually you're being overly
>cautious -- installcheck won't run your configuration.  It creates its
>own configuration, TESTCONF, and its own vtapes.  So it "shouldn't"
>mess with your configuration in any way, shape, or form.  I just don't
>want to be responsible for the consequences if I'm wrong about that :)

Hey, we have to COA. :)

><snip lots of CPAN problems>
>
>Hmm -- apparently that should be a prereq for the installchecks.  I'll
>add it to the wiki.

And blast the wiki's URL out on the error maybe?

And note that the fedora 8 repo's have no clue about this added perl stuffs,
it must be obtained from cpan by the rather lengthy procedure I used &
partially logged here AFAIK.  This should be an F8 dependency since some will
INSIST on using the *&%#$) and dated rpms.  Maybe better yet, to the
configure stage checks & make some noise & bail out if its not there?  The
current way was a multi-piece puzzle for sure. :-)

>> As the user amanda, it fails:
>>
>> make[1]: Entering directory
>> `/home/amanda/amanda-2.6.0b1-20080111/installcheck'
>> /usr/bin/perl -I. -e 'use Test::Harness qw(&runtests); runtests(@ARGV);'
>> Amanda_Logfile Amanda_Changer Amanda_Cmdline Amanda_Config Amanda_Types
>> amcheckdump amdevcheck amgetconf
>> Amanda_Logfile...ok 1/0Could not create temporary log file at
>> Amanda_Logfile line 39.
>> # Looks like your test died just after 2.
>> Amanda_Logfile...dubious
>>         Test returned status 255 (wstat 65280, 0xff00)
>>         after all the subtests completed successfully
>
><snip>
>
>> I don't think that should happen.  The question is: where is this logfile
>> it cannot write?  From Daily/amanda.conf, its /usr/local/var/amanda which
>> was owned by amanda:amanda, so I did a chown -R (as root) amanda:disk on
>> /usr/local/var/amanda, but the installcheck still fails with the above
>> message.
>
>Again, it's not using your config.  In this case, it's creating a
>temporary file in $AMANDA_TMPDIR, which you can see with 'amgetconf
>build.AMANDA_TMPDIR'.  'amanda' should have permission to create files
>there.

That would be, for the current Daily amanda.conf, /tmp/amanda and the perms
should have been fine, but I've NDI about the installcheck location.

I already blew all that stuff away unforch.

>I'll add the filename to that error message, though.

I think that would be helpfull.  Concise verbosity is generally welcomed.

>Dustin

Thanks Dustin, it looks as if I can run my catchup script now.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.