Amanda-Users

Re: Disaster recovery and amanda-2.6.0b1

2008-01-14 14:22:52
Subject: Re: Disaster recovery and amanda-2.6.0b1
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Gene Heskett" <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:17:03 -0500
On Jan 14, 2008 11:22 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net> wrote:
> I just looked at the runtar-debug and it looks like we have a version mixing
> problem, they all say they were generated by 2.5.2p1!  Or did someone forget
> to update an internal version string?

It's updated in HEAD -- try running 'amgetconf build.VERSION'.

> Now, I'm thinking that my script which has some of the executables locations
> hard coded in a config file, might need that config file brought up to date.
> Once I get some caffiene injected, I need to goto work and won't get get back
> to this till this evening.

Yes, that's quite possible.

> As far as testing, I can run the make installcheck without screwing things up
> as I can re-run the mkvtapes script and re-init the vtapes in a few seconds.

I'm hesitant to promise anything, but actually you're being overly
cautious -- installcheck won't run your configuration.  It creates its
own configuration, TESTCONF, and its own vtapes.  So it "shouldn't"
mess with your configuration in any way, shape, or form.  I just don't
want to be responsible for the consequences if I'm wrong about that :)

> A 'make check' seemed to be happy.
> A 'make installcheck' however bails out from a missing perl module:
> Amanda_Logfile...Can't locate Test/More.pm in @INC (@INC
<snip lots of CPAN problems>

Hmm -- apparently that should be a prereq for the installchecks.  I'll
add it to the wiki.

> As the user amanda, it fails:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/home/amanda/amanda-2.6.0b1-20080111/installcheck'
> /usr/bin/perl -I. -e 'use Test::Harness qw(&runtests); runtests(@ARGV);'
> Amanda_Logfile Amanda_Changer Amanda_Cmdline Amanda_Config Amanda_Types
> amcheckdump amdevcheck amgetconf
> Amanda_Logfile...ok 1/0Could not create temporary log file at Amanda_Logfile
> line 39.
> # Looks like your test died just after 2.
> Amanda_Logfile...dubious
>         Test returned status 255 (wstat 65280, 0xff00)
>         after all the subtests completed successfully
<snip>
> I don't think that should happen.  The question is: where is this logfile it
> cannot write?  From Daily/amanda.conf, its /usr/local/var/amanda which was
> owned by amanda:amanda, so I did a chown -R (as root) amanda:disk
> on /usr/local/var/amanda, but the installcheck still fails with the above
> message.

Again, it's not using your config.  In this case, it's creating a
temporary file in $AMANDA_TMPDIR, which you can see with 'amgetconf
build.AMANDA_TMPDIR'.  'amanda' should have permission to create files
there.

I'll add the filename to that error message, though.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com