Amanda-Users

Re: Disaster recovery and amanda-2.6.0b1

2008-01-14 04:07:51
Subject: Re: Disaster recovery and amanda-2.6.0b1
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 04:03:18 -0500
On Monday 14 January 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Sunday 13 January 2008, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>>On Jan 13, 2008 9:00 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net> wrote:
>>> Is there anything in that config driver that I should change for 2.6.0b1?
>>
>>Not that I know of.  The changes to note are in the NEWS and
>>ReleaseNotes -- in particular, some new build dependencies, lib and
>>libexec files moved to lib/amanda and libexec/amanda, and
>>/etc/amandates moved to /var/amanda/amandates unless you supply
>>--with-amandates=/etc/amandates.
>>
>>Thanks so much for testing this.  Has anyone else had a chance to take
>>it out for a ride?
>>
>>Dustin
>
>Well, this ride ended in a 100% disaster. /tmp/amanda and /tmp/amanda-dbg
> were used and duly populated with debug files from yesterdays amcheck and
> amlabel activities, but was unable to make the /tmp/amanda/Daily dir for
> the rest of it.  There isn't anything left in the /dumps holding disk, and
> the virtual tape it was going to use is empty except for the label file.
>
>The /tmp/amanda and /tmp/amanda-dbg dirs do not contain *any* files dated to
>the start time of the run, only leftovers I had pulled with amrecover, and
>the amcheck & amlabel runs to set up the new drive that were made last night
>as I was getting it setup.
>
>I've made that missing /tmp/amanda/Daily dir, and touched the gene.log file
>there and restarted it.  It seems to be doing its thing ok now as its
>generating files in the /tmp/amanda dirs and 1Gb chunk.tmp files are showing
>up in /dumps, so I'm going back to bed & when I wake up again, I'll fire off
>my catchup script since it all failed for round one, and about 22 Gb failed
>for round two according to amstatus.  catchup will run about 6 backups in a
>row & should begin to establish some order.
>
>Who would have thought that one missing subdir containing one, constantly
> over written log file in /tmp/amanda/Daily/gene.log would have screwed
> things up so bad.  My script obviously needs to handle that and didn't.
>
>Humm, although it says the first 7.6Gb dle has been taped, the chunk files
> are still in /dumps, I thought they were cleaned out once they were written
> to tape?  Has this behavior changed?
>
>>>From amstatus:
>coyote:/usr/movies            0   7672400m finished (2:42:12), PARTIAL
>
>What is this 'PARTIAL'?
>
>More news later.

Back again after reading the email from the flush. It looks as if I have a
filesystem maxfilesize problem, this number looks VERY familiar, from that
email:
---------------------------
FAILURE DUMP SUMMARY:
  driver: FATAL event_register: Invalid file descriptor 4294967295
and later:
NOTES:
  driver: Taper protocol error
  driver: taper pid 29196 exited with signal 11
and later yet:
coyote  /usr/movies                      NO FILE TO
FLUSH ------------------------------

but there's these sitting in /dumps
[root@coyote config-bak]# ls -lR /dumps
/dumps:
total 16
drwx------ 2 amanda amanda 4096 2008-01-14 03:21 20080114023115
drwx------ 2 amanda amanda 4096 2008-01-14 03:36 20080114033617

/dumps/20080114023115:
total 12730908
-rw------- 1 amanda amanda 1073741824 2008-01-14 02:51 coyote._home.0
-rw------- 1 amanda amanda 1073741824 2008-01-14 03:08 coyote._home.0.1
-rw------- 1 amanda amanda  165619638 2008-01-14 03:10 coyote._home.0.2
-rw------- 1 amanda amanda 1073741824 2008-01-14 03:14 coyote._opt.0
-rw------- 1 amanda amanda 1073741824 2008-01-14 03:16 coyote._opt.0.1
-rw------- 1 amanda amanda  478117957 2008-01-14 03:20 coyote._opt.0.2
-rw------- 1 amanda amanda  209625088 2008-01-14 03:20 coyote._usr_dlds.0
-rw------- 1 amanda amanda   18455042 2008-01-14 03:21 coyote._usr_libexec.0
-rw------- 1 amanda amanda 1073741824 2008-01-14 02:35 coyote._usr_movies.0
-rw------- 1 amanda amanda 1073741824 2008-01-14 02:36 coyote._usr_movies.0.1
-rw------- 1 amanda amanda 1073741824 2008-01-14 02:37 coyote._usr_movies.0.2
-rw------- 1 amanda amanda 1073741824 2008-01-14 02:38 coyote._usr_movies.0.3
-rw------- 1 amanda amanda 1073741824 2008-01-14 02:39 coyote._usr_movies.0.4
-rw------- 1 amanda amanda 1073741824 2008-01-14 02:40 coyote._usr_movies.0.5
-rw------- 1 amanda amanda 1073741824 2008-01-14 02:41 coyote._usr_movies.0.6
-rw------- 1 amanda amanda  340606976 2008-01-14 02:41 coyote._usr_movies.0.7

/dumps/20080114033617:
total 0

I don't believe it will do me any good to try to run the catchup script, so
I'll await your sage advice.

This is a stock, most recent, 2.6.23.9 fedora kernel.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Real Users hate Real Programmers.