Amanda-Users

Re: Disaster recovery and amanda-2.6.0b1

2008-01-14 14:49:43
Subject: Re: Disaster recovery and amanda-2.6.0b1
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:42:44 -0500
On Monday 14 January 2008, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>On Jan 14, 2008 11:22 AM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net> wrote:
>> I just looked at the runtar-debug and it looks like we have a version
>> mixing problem, they all say they were generated by 2.5.2p1!  Or did
>> someone forget to update an internal version string?
>
>It's updated in HEAD -- try running 'amgetconf build.VERSION'.
>
>> Now, I'm thinking that my script which has some of the executables
>> locations hard coded in a config file, might need that config file brought
>> up to date. Once I get some caffiene injected, I need to goto work and
>> won't get get back to this till this evening.
>
>Yes, that's quite possible.
>
>> As far as testing, I can run the make installcheck without screwing things
>> up as I can re-run the mkvtapes script and re-init the vtapes in a few
>> seconds.
>
>I'm hesitant to promise anything, but actually you're being overly
>cautious -- installcheck won't run your configuration.  It creates its
>own configuration, TESTCONF, and its own vtapes.  So it "shouldn't"
>mess with your configuration in any way, shape, or form.  I just don't
>want to be responsible for the consequences if I'm wrong about that :)
>
>> A 'make check' seemed to be happy.
>> A 'make installcheck' however bails out from a missing perl module:

>> Amanda_Logfile...Can't locate Test/More.pm in @INC (@INC
>
><snip lots of CPAN problems>
>
>Hmm -- apparently that should be a prereq for the installchecks.  I'll
>add it to the wiki.
>
>> As the user amanda, it fails:
>>
>> make[1]: Entering directory
>> `/home/amanda/amanda-2.6.0b1-20080111/installcheck'
>> /usr/bin/perl -I. -e 'use Test::Harness qw(&runtests); runtests(@ARGV);'
>> Amanda_Logfile Amanda_Changer Amanda_Cmdline Amanda_Config Amanda_Types
>> amcheckdump amdevcheck amgetconf
>> Amanda_Logfile...ok 1/0Could not create temporary log file at
>> Amanda_Logfile line 39.
>> # Looks like your test died just after 2.
>> Amanda_Logfile...dubious
>>         Test returned status 255 (wstat 65280, 0xff00)
>>         after all the subtests completed successfully
>
><snip>
>
>> I don't think that should happen.  The question is: where is this logfile
>> it cannot write?  From Daily/amanda.conf, its /usr/local/var/amanda which
>> was owned by amanda:amanda, so I did a chown -R (as root) amanda:disk on
>> /usr/local/var/amanda, but the installcheck still fails with the above
>> message.
>
>Again, it's not using your config.  In this case, it's creating a
>temporary file in $AMANDA_TMPDIR, which you can see with 'amgetconf
>build.AMANDA_TMPDIR'.  'amanda' should have permission to create files
>there.
>
>I'll add the filename to that error message, though.
>
>Dustin

That test run was successfull, but I had to consult my scripts log to see if
amcheckdump was actually ran, which it did.  I'm used to getting an email
from it and did not.  Does it send one if it fails?

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
(1) Never draw what you can copy.
(2) Never copy what you can trace.
(3) Never trace what you can cut out and paste down.