Amanda-Users

Re: Disaster recovery and amanda-2.6.0b1

2008-01-14 03:12:03
Subject: Re: Disaster recovery and amanda-2.6.0b1
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 03:05:46 -0500
On Sunday 13 January 2008, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>On Jan 13, 2008 9:00 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net> wrote:
>> Is there anything in that config driver that I should change for 2.6.0b1?
>
>Not that I know of.  The changes to note are in the NEWS and
>ReleaseNotes -- in particular, some new build dependencies, lib and
>libexec files moved to lib/amanda and libexec/amanda, and
>/etc/amandates moved to /var/amanda/amandates unless you supply
>--with-amandates=/etc/amandates.
>
>Thanks so much for testing this.  Has anyone else had a chance to take
>it out for a ride?
>
>Dustin

Well, this ride ended in a 100% disaster. /tmp/amanda and /tmp/amanda-dbg were
used and duly populated with debug files from yesterdays amcheck and amlabel
activities, but was unable to make the /tmp/amanda/Daily dir for the rest of
it.  There isn't anything left in the /dumps holding disk, and the virtual
tape it was going to use is empty except for the label file.

The /tmp/amanda and /tmp/amanda-dbg dirs do not contain *any* files dated to
the start time of the run, only leftovers I had pulled with amrecover, and
the amcheck & amlabel runs to set up the new drive that were made last night
as I was getting it setup.

I've made that missing /tmp/amanda/Daily dir, and touched the gene.log file
there and restarted it.  It seems to be doing its thing ok now as its
generating files in the /tmp/amanda dirs and 1Gb chunk.tmp files are showing
up in /dumps, so I'm going back to bed & when I wake up again, I'll fire off
my catchup script since it all failed for round one, and about 22 Gb failed
for round two according to amstatus.  catchup will run about 6 backups in a
row & should begin to establish some order.

Who would have thought that one missing subdir containing one, constantly over
written log file in /tmp/amanda/Daily/gene.log would have screwed things up
so bad.  My script obviously needs to handle that and didn't.

Humm, although it says the first 7.6Gb dle has been taped, the chunk files are
still in /dumps, I thought they were cleaned out once they were written to
tape?  Has this behavior changed?

>From amstatus:
coyote:/usr/movies            0   7672400m finished (2:42:12), PARTIAL

What is this 'PARTIAL'?

More news later.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The mosquito exists to keep the mighty humble.