Amanda-Users

Re: Can't get a Level 0 backup

2006-05-11 10:14:41
Subject: Re: Can't get a Level 0 backup
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Anne Wilson <cannewilson AT tiscali.co DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 16:09:55 +0200
On 2006-05-11 15:58, Anne Wilson wrote:
On Thursday 11 May 2006 13:02, listrcv wrote:
Anne Wilson wrote:
The vtapes are set to 4GB, so that they will fit onto a DVD.  Earlier I
Actually, they were defined as 4000 Mb, I've slightly increased it to 4100 Mb, just to give a little more headroom.

Check out the runtapes option in amanda.conf and:

That was set to 10, which was the largest number I could imagine it needing.

http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Splitting_dumps_across_tapes
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Manually_splitting_large_disks

I'm running 2.5, so the first one is the one I've checked against.

Troubleshooting is incredibly slow because it's not a problem discovered by amcheck, so i have to wait 24 hours every time to see whether I've improved the situation. I'm getting worried, now, because in a few more days I will be overwriting the only Level 0 for /home. If I haven't cracked this in a couple more days I'll have to burn that dump to DVD to avoid losing it.

One quick workaround (until you solved the problem), is to set the
size of the vtape to anything large enough to hold the dump in one
file, and split that result file up with "split -c 4100m", and then
burn those parts to DVD.

Restoring is then done by "cat"-ing all those parts together again:

  cat x?? | dd bs=32k skip=1 | gtar -xvpGf -

If you got the diskspace...

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services        Tel  +32 16 397.511
* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *