Amanda-Users

Re: newbie questions about setting up amanda

2005-05-13 10:03:03
Subject: Re: newbie questions about setting up amanda
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Rodrigo Ventura <yoda AT isr.ist.utl DOT pt>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 09:45:40 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 13 May 2005 at 2:12pm, Rodrigo Ventura wrote

> During the run, I noticed a process called "gzip --best" being used by
> amanda, however I have a "compress none" directive. I want to switch

Amanda compresses the index files -- that's the gzip.

> to gzip in the future -- change compress to somethin non-none -- I
> suppose that with software compression, the ORIG-KB and the OUT-KB
> will differ.

Yes, and amanda will keep a history of how much each DLE compresses and
use that in future estimates.

> And by the way, how can I disable the hardware compression in the scsi
> tape device? Is there any way of doing so within amanda?

This is OS dependent and independent of amanda.  In Linux, look at the
'mt' command.  For Solaries, it's often controlled by which device you
use.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering