Amanda-Users

Re: newbie questions about setting up amanda

2005-05-13 10:36:48
Subject: Re: newbie questions about setting up amanda
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 10:14:35 -0400
On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 11:23:12AM +0100, Rodrigo Ventura wrote:

> The amdump I'm doing right now is looking good: the sendsize.*.include
> files for the var/spool/imap/user is non-zero (and its contents make
> sense). I guess the problem was that the directory var/spool/imap/user
> was not readable by amanda. Although gnutar is performed as root, and
> therefore there are no permission requirements, the include files are
> performed as amanda.

Good to know.  You may have been the first to have an environment
that triggered the problem.

> Let me strongly suggest that a paragraph explaining that the base
> directory in the DLE *must* be readable by amanda, so that it can
> build the include file.

Absolutely.  I think it is only needed for include, not for exclude.

> Maybe an alternative way is to let the program that builds the include
> files to be setuid root.

That has its own set of problems which are to be avoided if possible.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)