Amanda-Users

Re: newbie questions about setting up amanda

2005-05-13 17:42:20
Subject: Re: newbie questions about setting up amanda
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 23:27:20 +0200
Hi, Jon,

on Freitag, 13. Mai 2005 at 16:14 you wrote to amanda-users:

>> Let me strongly suggest that a paragraph explaining that the base
>> directory in the DLE *must* be readable by amanda, so that it can
>> build the include file.

JL> Absolutely.  I think it is only needed for include, not for exclude.

I thought this would be obvious ... every DLE has to be readable by
the amanda-user or, more detailled, the user, AMANDA has been
configured with (--with-user).

I quickly scanned this thread, AFAI can see there was no discussion of
the group-membership of the amanda-user (--with-group). A reason to
make the amanda-user member of a group like bin or disk is to provide
this user with the rights to read files it otherwise would not be
allowed to read. Just as a sidenote ...

I don't know right now if there are differences between includes and
excludes when it comes to permissions, if there are, we should think
about how to handle them and if we should remove them.

---

If you think the current behavior should get explained more
explicitly, please let me know where you would like to have this
information placed.

--
best regards,
Stefan