Amanda-Users

Re: newbie questions about setting up amanda

2005-05-16 07:45:27
Subject: Re: newbie questions about setting up amanda
From: Alexander Jolk <alexj AT buf DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 13:28:53 +0200
Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

I don't know right now if there are differences between includes and
excludes when it comes to permissions, if there are, we should think
about how to handle them and if we should remove them.

It would seem to me that includes are processed by amanda before running GNUTAR, dependent on what files she sees in your DLE; excludes on the other hand are simply passed on to GNUTAR. Which means indeed, that for includes to work, amanda needs read access to the directory, whereas for excludes, runtar's being SUID root is sufficient.

Since amanda is not supposed to be SUID root, I think that for the time being, a note in the docs is all that we can do.

(The relevant code seems to be in client-src/client_util.c, functions build_include() and add_include().)

Alex

--
Alexander Jolk         /         BUF Compagnie
tel +33-1 42 68 18 28 /  fax +33-1 42 68 18 29