Amanda-Users

Re: newbie questions about setting up amanda

2005-05-12 12:18:53
Subject: Re: newbie questions about setting up amanda
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 12:02:05 -0400
On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 04:19:16PM +0100, Rodrigo Ventura wrote:

>     Jon> Was there ever a successful backup of the DLE's in question?
>
> No, I'm pretty sure there was never one.
>
>     Jon> I presume the DLE's for /home/{ag|hm|nt} are similar to those
>     Jon> for /var/spool/imap/user/{ag|hm|nt}.  Same similarity for the
>     Jon> "uz" entries.  Yet all the /home ones are working, the
>     Jon> "include" ones for /var... aren't.
>
>     Jon> What is different about the /home and /var/spool DLE's?
>
> Not much. The latter was based on a copy&paste of the former.
>
>     Jon> What is different about /home itself vs /var/spool/imap/user?
>
> There is a physical partition mounted on /home, and therefore /home
> corresponds to the root directory of the partition in question. The
> /var/spool/... are in the root (/) partition. I'm assuming (hoping)
> that the "include" directive only works for directories in the root of
> a mounted partition!!! I want to split the /var/spool/imap/user
> directory in several dumps; do I have to create a physical partition
> and mount it at /var/spool/imap/user? (that's unreasonable for my server)
>
> I guess the central issue lies here: does a DLE have to correspond to
> a filesystem? Does the include directive only works for directories at
> the root of mounted filesystems?
>
> If these are the constraints of amanda, how can find a workaround to
> solve my problem of backing up subsets of directories deep in the
> directory structure of a filesystem?

I don't recall there being any restriction like that.  But I must admit,
the include code and capability is less solid than the exclude stuff.
Given that, how about a workaround that changes things to excludes?
The includes you have used seem like they should work (to me anyway).

Here would be some sample changes:

Current:

omni /var/spool/imap/user/ag /var/spool/imap/user {
  comment "omni mail accounts a-g"
  include file "./[a-g]*"
  global
}

Revised (if you know there is only "a-z":

omni /var/spool/imap/user/ag /var/spool/imap/user {
  comment "omni mail accounts a-g"
  global
  exclude file "./[h-z]*"
}

Revised (if you 'might' have things like Rodrigo or
3ware or ~junkfile in /var/spool/imap):

omni /var/spool/imap/user/ag /var/spool/imap/user {
  comment "omni mail accounts a-g"
  global
  exclude file "./[ -`h-~]*"
}

Space (' ') is the first 'non-control' character (I'm assuming no
file/dirs in imap start with control chars) and Backquote, aka
accent grave ('`') is the last char before lower case 'a'.  Tilde
('~') is the last printable ascii character.

BTW if I were setting this up I would not have dumptype 'global'
specify a backup program (gnutar).  Someday I might want to use
the global properties with a different backup program.  Instead
I'd setup a more general 'global' dumptype and two additional
dumptypes like gtarglobal and dumpglobal with first include
global then specify the dump program.
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)