Amanda-Users

Re: NT backup

2003-12-23 20:58:13
Subject: Re: NT backup
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Kurt Yoder" <kylist AT shcorp DOT com>, jblackburn AT hirzel DOT com
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:55:22 -0500
On Tuesday 23 December 2003 14:19, Kurt Yoder wrote:
>jessica blackburn said:
>> hello again!
>>
>> i got the samba working so i can talk with the ms box.  now i'm
>> trying
>> to get the amanda win32 working to try and backup the system.  i
>> am connecting to the MS box but i am getting an error that i can't
>> seem to
>> figure out when i'm running amcheck.
>>

>> -bash-2.05b$ /usr/sbin/amcheck DailySet1
>> Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>> -----------------------------
>> Holding disk /var/tmp: 28918452 KB disk space available, that's
>> plenty
>> amcheck-server: slot 4: date 20031205 label DailySet103 (exact
>> label match)
>> NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
>> Tape DailySet103 label ok
>> Server check took 0.320 seconds
>>
>> Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>> --------------------------------
>> ERROR: NAK hccdevelop03: execute access to
>> "/usr/amanda/libexec/selfcheck" denied
>> Client check: 2 hosts checked in 0.135 seconds, 1 problem found
>
>This looks an awful lot like an amanda-win32-client error. Are you
>sure you're actually using samba in your disklist? It should look
>like
>
>machine_with_smbclient //hccdevelop03/c$ user-tar
>
>if it looks like
>
>hccdevelop03 /mnt_c user-tar
>
>you're still using win32 client

Yes, and let me toss in my thoughts re using samba/cifs.

1. Unless the NTFS supports the time stamps that unix does, amanda's
concept of an incremental is a level 0 because it cannot tell from
the times reported over the samba link if it backed up that file last
night or not, so it does a fresh backup everynight of such stuff.

2. Because not all perms are properly reported by the samba/cifs link,
perms on the restored files may, and probably will, be fubar'd
somewhere along the line.

For those 2 reasons, I would much prefer the win32 client, which can
*probably* handle those two cases more accurately than the cifs/samba
linkage can.

However, like most on this list, I have little knowledge of the win32
client, never having seen it.  So I'll certainly defer to someone who
does have it working.  Please speak up, whoever you are!

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: