Amanda-Users

Re: NT backup

2003-12-22 16:41:51
Subject: Re: NT backup
From: "S. Keel" <sakeel AT u.washington DOT edu>
To: jessica blackburn <jblackburn AT hirzel DOT com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:40:04 -0800 (PST)
Hi Jess,

Samba can be a little tricky to setup with amanda.  Here are a few things
to check:

.amandahosts -> make sure you're using the right server to username.
Since the smbclient application is basically running on the machine, this
can be a little confusing.  On my amanda server, since I'm backing up from
both the server and using the smbclient to backup SMB shares across the
network, I include both, like this:

my.amanda.server.com    amanda
my.amanda.server.com    root

You might also want to double check your amandapass file for any typos or
incase something is missing.  The Samba documentation in the docs
directory of the source was very helpful to me.

You can practice your SMB connection by trying to access the NT Share with
smbclient too, which may give you some additional clues.

Since there are some restrictions to using Samba with Amanda, you can also
try this...

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

...for your Windows shares.  Although I haven't used it, I hear it works
pretty well, and has come recommended on this list a number of times in
the past.

Another strategy I've heard others use is to use NTBackup on the Win32
boxes and direct the backup to the Samba/Amanda server.  I've had trouble
with this with trying to backup a system larger than a couple gigs.

Thanks,
Stefan