Amanda-Users

Re: NT backup

2003-12-22 17:36:02
Subject: Re: NT backup
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: jblackburn AT hirzel DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:33:55 -0500
On Monday 22 December 2003 15:52, jessica blackburn wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I'm trying to back up an NT file system using a Linux file system.
> I currently run amanda on my linux machine, however, i'm having
> numerous problems attempting to get the nt systems backed-up.  i've
> tried both the amanda win32 and the samba and cannot get either to
> work.  using samba i am able to look at the linux machine from the
> nt machine but i've been unsuccessful the other way.  when using
> the win32 i am getting the error host down and 1 problem found.
>
>any recommendations on which approach to take and how best to tackle
>this?
>
>any and all help is greatly appreciated!!
>
>thanks!
>
>jess
>
>Hirzel Canning Company
>Northwood, OH
>jblackburn AT hirzel DOT com

I take it that you are not aware that the NT filesystem is rated read
only by the linux drivers?  I do not know if thats because its such a
moving target, or if doing the correct write things requires using
something patented by M$.

However, I'd investigate the latest cifs, aka samba stuff, and see if
a bridge could be built using it.  Make sure you are using the latest
cifs release on the NT box, and the latest samba 3.0something on the
amanda server.  That might have a chance of working.

There is also another group whose name escapes me ATM, who have had
some success getting amanda as a client to work on windows boxes, so
you might want to investigate that route too.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: