Amanda-Users

Re: Re[2]: NT backup

2003-12-24 20:34:29
Subject: Re: Re[2]: NT backup
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: vlad f halilow <vlad AT ccs DOT ru>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 20:31:24 -0500
On Wednesday 24 December 2003 14:34, vlad f halilow wrote:
>so, any addition notes for win32 backup. possibly it would be
>interesting for someone. there are three way to complete
>order.
>
>1) amanda-win32 client http://sourceforge.net/projects/amanda-win32/
>is a natie way. this soft is a port of amanda client to win32
>platform. but project died(?) two yers ago in beta stage. i tryed to
>use it - false. any kind of problem, which i can't solve bicouse
>haven't enough C/C++ expereince. as fact: useless :(
>
>2) backup windows host via smbtar. semi-native way. one trouble: we
>need read access from foreign host (amanda server) for all
> data...and password for smbtar saved as clear text... iles contain
> commercial information.. hmm.. if anything got amanda-servers under
> control - all information can be stealed... no my way.
>
>3) third, and best solution founded: all backup created and crypted
> on win32 host. we don't need read-on-all access from network. so
> all backups secured. not native: backup initiated by third-party
> program, not amanda-server.
>
>we need any software like unix 'crond' (i use nncron-lite
>http://www.nncron.ru/), and any archivator. my choose - winrar. i
>don't use windows scheduler for it. don't ask why. so. crond must
> run under account that have read/write permisiion on all data. it's
> bad, but more secured than smbtar . and by weekend it run .bat file
> like this (for winrar)
>
>----------------
>c:\progra~1\winrar\rar a -ac -idp -x@c:\backup\excl -ow -ri7 \
>-pPASSWORDFORCRYPT -r -m1 -ag -ilogl:\others.err -y \
>l:\DESTINATIONFILE.rar d:\absolute d:\bill d:\work >
> l:\others_full.log ---------------
>
>we execute rar with some kind of parameters for full backup, save
> ntfs permisiion and clear the archive bit. archive stored in file
> with name contained current timestamp.
>
> and every workdays i run command
>like this:
>
>----------------
>c:\progra~1\winrar\rar a -ac -idp -x@c:\backup\excl -ow -ri7 \
>-pPASSWORD -r -m1 -ag -ilogl:\others_diff.err -y -ao \
>l:\DESTINATIONFILE.rar d:\techdocs d:\whiteboard d:\work >
> l:\others_diff.log ---------------
>
>similar previous, but backing-up only files with archive-bit set. so
> we have full backup, and daily differents in timestamped files.
>
>disk l: in my configuration, is a nfs-mounted partition from
>amanda-server. you can install samba on amanda-server and store
> files to it, or just drop files to local disk, and later retreive
> it by smbtar utility from amanda - as your wish. so, if you need
> restore files from archive: just extract archive from tape, send it
> to windows host and unrar it. manual - but strong stable :)

Sounds like a good solution, particularly in that the data doesn't
leave the 'secure site' until its been smunched, a rather effective
encryption considering the number of different data smunchers there
are about.  Recovery is a bit more complex, but not that much.

Thanks for posting that synopsis, Vlad, and Merry Christmas if you
celebrate that.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: