Amanda-Users

Re: NT backup

2003-12-23 14:34:29
Subject: Re: NT backup
From: "Kurt Yoder" <kylist AT shcorp DOT com>
To: jblackburn AT hirzel DOT com
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:31:46 -0500 (EST)
jessica blackburn said:
> I think im using the amanda win32 because i could get samba to see
> the
> files of the MS box but not back them up. so, i moved on the try the
> win32.  do i need to use samba and win32 together?  or just one over
> the
> other?  and if so which is better?

That's odd. You should be able to read/copy the files using
smbclient if you can see them. Did you try manually connecting using
smbclient? You should be able to use smbclient to copy a file from
the windows machine to your linux machine. If this works, amanda's
samba connection should work too.

I was using the win32 client for a while, but found it troublesome.
You can't verify the amanda backups, because they are in "nttar"
format. So you have no idea whether the backups are actually
working. Also, I wasn't able to get nttar to restore any backups
using the included gui. I had to manually dump the whole backup file
to the windows machine, then use nttar to extract individual files;
very time consuming and inefficient. Plus, the win32 backups would
inexplicably fail frequently. So I just gave up on it altogether.

--
Kurt Yoder
Sport & Health network administrator