Amanda-Users

Re: amandad without xinetd

2003-01-21 15:47:48
Subject: Re: amandad without xinetd
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Martin Hepworth <martinh AT solid-state-logic DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:13:43 -0500
On Tuesday 21 January 2003 11:50, Martin Hepworth wrote:
>Kang, James wrote:
>> They don't want to run xinetd.
>> Is amandad capable of running "stand-alone" mode?
>> Please understand I am not trying to argue against your "default
>> xinetd mode" solution with the latest xinetd.
>>
>> James
>
>There are alot of security policies out there that state - no
> (x)inetd on servers. Would be nice if we could at least run
> amanda on the clients without running an inetd varient.

See my other reply to James Kang.  xinetd was originally built to
address the perceived security concerns some folks had about inetd,
(or at least thats what RedHat told us at the time they switched)
and has had several updates since it first came out at about rh7.0
IIRC.  As to the relative "security" either method has, I'll let
the real folks, the ones who post to the bugtrack list I'm also
subscribed to, have the final judgement, but I've not heard of any
*real world* exploits against it in months.

Software is a dynamic thing in those cases, and when the security
concerns have seemingly been met, then it should be time to review
the policy, which really should be just as dynamic as the software
its applied to.

Carving it in stone because someone heard a rumor 2 years ago is
needlessly crippling our ability to "get the job done", and makes
it very difficult for them to have their cake and eat it at the
same time.

Bear in mind that in the real world, I'm only an expert in tv
broadcasting, not network security.  Besides, to be an expert you
have to be 50 miles from home and carrying a briefcase, I'm
neither. :-)

If you like to ski, come to WV, we have plenty of snow now.
Volunteer shovelers needed. :)

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M