Amanda-Users

Re: amandad without xinetd

2003-01-21 15:29:57
Subject: Re: amandad without xinetd
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "Kang, James" <jkang AT bnl DOT gov>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:49:38 -0500
On Tuesday 21 January 2003 11:19, Kang, James wrote:
>They don't want to run xinetd.
>Is amandad capable of running "stand-alone" mode?
>Please understand I am not trying to argue against your "default
> xinetd mode" solution with the latest xinetd.

I personally think their worries are missplaced, but that and a $1
bill will get you a cuppa most anyplace.  However, I did a killall
amandad here, then before I tried to run it I found I had 2 copies,
one of which was maybe a leftover from an rpm install, so I rm'd it
and ran the other one with an & as the eol.  It died shortly, so
I'd assume there is more to it than that.  And there does not seem
to be a manpage for it.

I just checked my /etc/xinetd.d/amanda script and it was running the
recently installed version, but has not restarted it in about 10
minutes since I killed it.  Humm, odd. Before a restart of xinetd
would restart amandad, (I tried that twice) I had to re-install, so
maybe that second copy in /usr/lib/amanda is needed after all.  And
I hope I didn't kill a 70 meg OO-1.0.2 download doing that, I only
have a 56k dialup line.

So at this point, I don't know if you could successfully put the
amandad launch in rc.local or not.  All I can say is try it, and
watch it occasionally with ps to make sure its running.  Maybe even
write a script for cron to run that checks to see if its running,
and restarts it if it isn't.  Or a wrapper script that runs it,
waits till it exits, sleeps 5 seconds and loops.  The sleep 5 is to
keep it from hogging the system in case something is really fubar.

Does anybody else have a better idea?  Thats my best shot at it.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M